Landscape Architecture Study Abroad
Adventures beyond your dreams endowed with GENEROUS financial support
An integral part of the MSU Landscape Architecture curriculum, these study abroad programs are endowed with generous financial support, making this outstanding life changing experience affordable for all. A unique opportunity, the study abroad program allows one to visit historical and current examples of international landscape architecture. The program is fun, immersive and experiential, including visits to professional offices and foundation settings of the landscape architecture profession.
GLOBAL INSIGHT - GLOBAL SKILLS
Why Study Abroad in Landscape Architecture?
At MSU STUDY ABROAD is highly valued. The program is written directly into the core curriculum. During the spring semester of the third year, students enroll in regular Landscape Architecture core classes and design studios. The first half of each class or studio is taught on campus for the first eight weeks of the semester. The second half of the semester is then completed while on location overseas during the final nine weeks of the semester. Thus, any 3rd-year LA major student may participate without having to miss summer work, internship or family opportunities. Approximately 95% of all LA majors participate. Study Abroad locations are determined on a year-to-year basis by the designated faculty leader(s) for the year. GENEROUS financial support is available to all participants.
The Landscape Architecture Program’s Goals in Study Abroad
To provide students:
- Abroad diversity of academic, educational and focused learning experiences.
- A cultural experience in other countries.
- Opportunities for personal growth, self-reliance, confidence and independence.
- The opportunity to develop an attitude of a “Global Citizen - Landscape Architect.”
What We Do:
- Visit firsthand the foundation settings of the profession of landscape architecture.
- Compare and evaluate the international and American processes and results in design of the landscape.
- Develop historical, cultural, professional and social perspectives in global design.
- Provide the opportunity to learn new and different aspects of the profession as practiced in host locations.
- Have as much fun as humanly possible within the learning experience.
We Achieve our Educational Goals of the Program By:
- Academic study of human use of international urban and natural landscape.
- Experiential, interpretive walks and design site visits.
- Sketch analysis of place through use of field drawing techniques.
- On-site design assignments and charrette experiences with our international counterparts.
- Formal lectures by leaders in partner Landscape Architecture programs.
- Visits to international landscape architecture, planning and architecture practices.
Scholarship and Internship Opportunities
Where in the world will you and your class study abroad?
Asia? The Mediterranean? Europe? Scandinavia? The United Kingdom?
Photo courtesy of the MSU Landscape Architecture Program.